INFORMATION FOR PARENTS ON THE PHONICS SCREENING CHECK
- The phonics screening check is a statutory assessment that was introduced in 2012 for all children in Year 1.
- It will take place in early June.
- It comprises of a list of 40 words (20 real and 20 nonsense).
- Expectation from the Government is that pupils should achieve at least 32 out of 40 to reach the expected level. The pass mark varies year on year.
- The check will take up to fifteen minutes per pupil and will be conducted by the class teacher.
- Children who do not achieve the expected level at the end of Year 1 will retake the screening in Year 2.
You can generate your own sample word lists for practise at home here.
For fun phonics games that you can play at home visit: